Greetings!

Here is the right place for newbies, to ask any kind of questions or to find answers for the basics of Iberia MUD. It is also where one can read the Starter Guide, and other useful tips.
Elhost
User

Greetings!

Post by Elhost »

Hello! Just thought I'd introduce myself. My name is Elhost. I am not Portuguese. I am American, but do not be afraid, I'm nice. I speak no Portuguese, not beyond the most basic of nouns, but I do speak Spanish, so I can understand it to some extent. Coracão=corazon=heart! YAAY! Aren't I über?

Anyway, I met Viriato on Middle-earth MUD, and then again on The Two Towers. I have no prior knowledge of the history of the Iberian Peninsula (well except for what it applies to California), but I am willing to learn. I have tried to telnet to the MUD, but it hasn't worked so far.

Hope I can get involved somehow with this thing.
I beg to dream and differ from the hollow lies
This is the dawning of the rest of our lives

\"What was the defendant doing with a special pair of gaiters?\"
Viriato
Site Admin

Post by Viriato »

Didn't expected your visit here :) That's great! Welcome! Hope you feel good around, and hope you can contribute with something, even that only with your presence here :)

As posted, MUD is (and will be) in english language to have a wide gameplayer base... restricting it to another language like portuguese or spanish was not my intention due to that, and also because english is an easy language than portuguese...
You cannot know it but a mud written in portuguese, because of the complexity of the language, don't look much great (desciptions, emotes, etc. do not sound well like in english).

Anyway as you probably could found, we are in a very early stage of development. I am the only coder and the mud engine is being written from scratch in IBASIC standard (IB STD), a code I have good knowledge (I choose not adopt another code base because: 1 - I would have to learn it from 0; 2 - I like to program, and build a mud engine is a great personal objective, as I am a \"mudder\" for around 10 years; 3 - as I know IB STD well, I can do whatever I like! - if in another code, I would be restricted to what I could figure out and to what others have written, being difficult to increase any piece of code).

So code is being created step-by-step, without any rush, with developments at least every week. Building is also restricted because not many commands are implemented (we can already make quests... but very limited, as no items are coded yet, and only part of NPC interactions are made) - anyway, the geographic world can already be done (I have my project for the world, how to create the landscape etc, but didn't done any advance in it because I give priority to code). Players atm only connect basically to chat, test new commands and give opinions, which can also be done in this forum.
Also you can see that Iberia site need some shaping for a better look and organization :) Help files, new commands, etc, etc, etc... much to do :)

I believe you and every new person in Iberia can understand what's expected by reading other posts in this forum and in mud helpfiles, so feel free to contribute with anything, I would thank alot.

Once again welcome, and hope to meet you logged on sooner or later. Keep in contact!
Viriato (João Afonso)

Iberia MUD administrator
Elhost
User

Post by Elhost »

English may be easy, but it's not as pretty as Portuguese or Spanish, or even German. All those schwa sounds… Still, I haven't been able to log on, which makes me sad. I have tried telnet, because only real men use telnet. But I haven't been able to log on…

And, English being easy? It's a mixture of Anglo-Saxon, French, Latin, Greek, German, and many other languages. For example:

kayak: Inuit!
skunk: Algonquian!
tomato: Nahuatl!
boss: Dutch!
scimitar: Turkish!
algebra: Arabic!
ketchup: Mandarin!
amok: Malay!
shmuck: Yiddish!
jai alai: Basque!
purple: Phonecian!

And so on and so on.

Viriato
Site Admin

Post by Viriato »

Hello, my friend
A pleasure to meet you once again :)
From times to times, mud is down. Not very often, but can happen.
I have tested connecting to Iberia via topmudsites link, and I was unable. Anyway, opening a telnet window in anyother computer, and typing \"open iberia.zapto.org 5900\", always worked for me.
This to say that you must have caught Iberia down, for sure. Today, I've checked MUD when I returned home and it was down. I've take some measures, and from now on, it should be connected all the time, even if power plant of my town turns off :)

See you around!
Viriato (João Afonso)

Iberia MUD administrator
Elhost
User

Post by Elhost »

Just wanted to point out that the MUD cannot be accessed by telnet. I mean, it connects and everything, but I don't get the MUD startup screen and things like that. It just happens that I can't actually get the startup screen.

Viriato
Site Admin

Post by Viriato »

I need to check it... figured out that sometimes, when some break happens to my computer, it prevents others to connect (I guess is when NO-IP refreshes mud IP, but not sure).

Also try to connect via telnet manually. Click in RUN in start menu, then type telnet, and in telnet command line type \"open iberia.zapto.org 5900\"
(I know you know it is done this way, but I explain here so can be helpfull for others).

Meanwhile I'll try to undestand why it happens sometimes... Ah! btw, have you ever logged on to Iberia, or never logged? I need that answer to clarify the error.
Viriato (João Afonso)

Iberia MUD administrator
Viriato
Site Admin

Post by Viriato »

Your connection problem is something important. Please try to get me at MSN so we can both logged on check if the problem is in your computer, in no-ip or in mud server...

joaodiasafonso@yahoo.es
Viriato (João Afonso)

Iberia MUD administrator
Elhost
User

Post by Elhost »

I think I have an idea to fix this problem: I run a Mac, and your directions are all for Windows. I think this may be the problem.

Viriato
Site Admin

Post by Viriato »

Eh! That must be the problem, yes. The mud's language is windows based... I am sorry to hear it. Anyway, there must be a client that can fix it... no?
Viriato (João Afonso)

Iberia MUD administrator
Elhost
User

Post by Elhost »

Yeah… If you can, tey to get a unix version out. I think that that'd be the best for anyone who wants to play the MUD, since that'd be open to everyone.

Elhost
User

Post by Elhost »

I tried playing IberiaMUD on my brother's Windows. It was interminably slow. I don't actually think I can stand playing the Windows version. I hope that you someday come out with a Unix versoin that is playable by everyone. Till then, good bye.

Viriato
Site Admin

Post by Viriato »

nodnod, meanwhile it's slow... it's under construction and development, my friend.
You are welcome here anytime. If you still want to cooperate with ideas and discussion, feel free to post at any time
Viriato (João Afonso)

Iberia MUD administrator
Viriato
Site Admin

Post by Viriato »

Elhost, I invite you to try again a windows system to check mud, as I've changed servers. Now it's fast :) Check it yourself. My next step concerning this will be to make linux connect mud :)

Thanks and cya!
Viriato (João Afonso)

Iberia MUD administrator