Todo list - discussion - post 2 of 2

The purpose of this forum is to discuss new ideas for Iberia MUD, whether they be for new areas, update of areas, code changes, or any other suggestion. Player feedback is priceless!
Viriato
Site Admin

Todo list - discussion - post 2 of 2

Post by Viriato »

FARMING SYSTEM
- NOW: not implemented
- FUTURE (to be thought/suggested by builders/everyone): terrains should have information about the soil, for a farmer plant crops, take care of them and get them to sell, lets say. Examples of information per terrain: crops that can be plant there, much/not much productive, crop planted, state of the crop (if it is time to get it from the ground or if needs to stay there more time)

GEOGRAPHY SYSTEM
- NOW: standarized rooms for general terrain (like plains, low mountain terrain, medium mountain terrain, high mountain terrain, dense forest, light forest, river, etc, etc), each room representing an area of 1x1, 2x2 or 5x5 real quilometers (the room terrain info can be got from detailed maps I have). The world can be fastly created after have defined the descriptions of the standard terrain types, and we will have a world with almost 100% fidelity to the truth (the river flows in its exact position, the cities are located in their exact position). After locating those standard terrains, we can then create specific terrain, like cities, buildings, etc.
- FUTURE (to be thought/suggested by builders/everyone): each room have a singular description. Problems with this: the world size will increase at a very slow rate; the intention would be have a rich world with rich descriptions... which can work the opposite way, because there aren't many and detailed descriptions of environment of that time.

ECONOMY SYSTEM
- NOW: not implemented
- FUTURE (to be thought/suggested by builders/everyone): there will be limited resources and coins, except (or not) natural resources like wood, plants, etc. I cannot at this time detail more what I am thinking, but basically I expect a true economy system... Most mechanisms characters wont figure out, but with limited resources, some chars need to \"work\" for other chars, I mean, craft items and sell them to others, lets say. For ones be rich, other must be poor for sure (isnt this how life still is?), unless they work hard to live... Needs to be shaped.
OTHER \"SMALL\" ASPECTS:
- When someone logs off, should he lost all equipment?
- Skills are from 0 to 100; Awareness skill raises 1 per day of gameplay (example), and is basically used to get the exact name of things or a rough observation (as example, the first room created for testing, when glance you can have \"entrance of a small village\" for low awareness or \"entrance of lorica\" for high awareness)
- a command that, when used in a room, says what irl nowadays that region is (example: \"entrance to olisipus\" would be Iberia mud description, and when run this special command would say \"Lisbon city - 2007\")
- How much rl time should last a day in Iberia? - actually is around 2 hours

LIST OF SKILLS FROM OTHER MUDS, THAT WE CAN USE/ADAPT CONSIDERING IBERIA LIFESTILE
General
Wilderness Lore
Forest, Plains, Hills, Brush, Marsh, etc...
Track
Ride
Horse, Donkey, Mule, Warg, Oliphant, Saddled, Bareback, Train
Climb
Swim
Cook
Various food types(pastry, stews, meat)
Herblore
Flowers, Poisons, Medcinal, Magical, Eatable
Melee Combat
Blades
Longswords, Broadswords, Bastard Swords, Cutless, Sabre, Scimitar, Shortsword, Dagger, Rapier, Great Sword
Clubs
Maces, Hammers, Clubs, Spiked, Morning Stars
Axes
Spears
Long, Short, Pike
Dodge
Parry
Shield, Unarmed
Unarmed
Brawl, Martial Arts, Kick, Box, Bash
Rouge
Sneak
Hide
Search
Sneak Attack
Melee Ambush, Ranged Ambush, Backstab
Steal
Pickpocket, Shoplift
Pick Lock
Intmidate
Forgery
Craft
Forge
Sword, Axehead, Spearhead, Pole, Arrowhead, Mace, Hammer, Armor Plates, Mail
Armorsmith
Leather, Ringmail, Chainmail, Scalemail, Metal, Padded Metal, Sheilds, Helmet
Fletching
Arrow Making, Bow Crafting
Last edited by Viriato on Mon May 28, 2007 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Viriato (João Afonso)

Iberia MUD administrator
Cadeyrn
User

Post by Cadeyrn »

FARMING SYSTEM
What youve addes is a realistic approach to it. To make it more realistic and to determine what types of plants/crops a farmer can plant in the area he/she is standing in (this is complex though).

GEOGRAPHY

I assume that you would focus on creating Iberia only, as if the intention is to create Rome, it will be a long distance from Iberia to Italy to travel. Though in that case, perhaps make some kind of portal, where a person will enter the exit point, then see a description on his/her screen describing to him/her the journey between Iberia and Rome and at the journey's end, end up at a place outside Rome or Italy... This can be done with both walking and sailing..

ECONOMY

A question to debate, is if race should determine how much access to coin and resources a player has. A roman soldier would be paid for his service and have the necessary amount of food and other rescourses. While a iberian wont have the same luxuries, unless its a merchant or similar.

Its realistic that a player keeps his equipment, when he logs of. This is if the access to coin and resources will be hard. It can be added a code, that will decrease the quality of the equipment over time (even when the person aint playing), if the person aint taking care of it ..

The time, this is when some of the realistic issues will become a problem. Take the example of a farmer, it takes close to from 4 - 6 months irl, from the time he plants the crop till he can harvest it. If a day is set to 2hours, then it will take a couple of irl days before he can harvest it...
Viriato
Site Admin

Post by Viriato »

FARMING SYSTEM
What youve addes is a realistic approach to it. To make it more realistic and to determine what types of plants/crops a farmer can plant in the area he/she is standing in (this is complex though).
I guess I haven't understand what you tried to say...
GEOGRAPHY

I assume that you would focus on creating Iberia only, as if the intention is to create Rome, it will be a long distance from Iberia to Italy to travel. Though in that case, perhaps make some kind of portal, where a person will enter the exit point, then see a description on his/her screen describing to him/her the journey between Iberia and Rome and at the journey's end, end up at a place outside Rome or Italy... This can be done with both walking and sailing..
That is a solution if we want to start already from the begining with Iberia and Rome. Otherwise, we can start in Iberia and increase the world up to reach Italy later. I like your first idea, though, and will make more sense now because a roman is an ethnic group you can choose already in the begining.
ECONOMY

A question to debate, is if race should determine how much access to coin and resources a player has. A roman soldier would be paid for his service and have the necessary amount of food and other rescourses. While a iberian wont have the same luxuries, unless its a merchant or similar.
In Iberia, at that time there were already coins... but was more valuable goods and terrains. While romans trade and get paid for jobs in coins between them, they would give terrains (example) to other \"barbaric\" races. Also they could pay in coins or give terrain to their mercenary warriors (some mercenaries are also \"barbaric\"), and also the tribute of each region conquered by Romans could be in coins or in goods. To implement it is more just a matter of investigate economy better.
The time, this is when some of the realistic issues will become a problem. Take the example of a farmer, it takes close to from 4 - 6 months irl, from the time he plants the crop till he can harvest it. If a day is set to 2hours, then it will take a couple of irl days before he can harvest it...
Well, farming was hard and was one of the things that gave sustentability to a family. It takes time to have profit... but we must check if it worths wait 15 irl days to harvest a field (6 months are aproximately 15 days) or another chance.

Good comments, my friend. The one about Rome via something like a portal (sail) is wonderfull :) Gives guts to build and code
Viriato (João Afonso)

Iberia MUD administrator
Cadeyrn
User

Post by Cadeyrn »

Quote:
FARMING SYSTEM
I guess I haven't understand what you tried to say...
That is understandeable, considering my bad writting :). What I intended to write, was as following. A wineyard for instance, would give best results when planted in a hill that gets sunlight most of the day. Planting it in the shade wont give the same result, the soil/ground of this hill, will also determine what type of wine you would get.
Certain potatoes grows better in a sandy soil and others in a dark soil and so forth.
Viriato
Site Admin

Post by Viriato »

nodnodnodnodnod
When farming is to be made, I would request any help to list every crop of that time and what would be the ideal conditions for it to grow healthy, and also what can destroy or damage the crop when growing.
Weather system is already made and in use (eventually needs to be shaped, though), where rain or sunlight can be checked for farming purposes.

Example:
- There are four \"levels\" of weather (in true, there are more): clear sky (1), small clouds (2), heavy clouds (3) and rain (4).
- Each crop would have 2 variables as the limits of weather for good harvest: the lower limit lets assume its 80 and higher limit 90.
- A farmer plants rice in a room. Rice needs 4 hours (in game time, and again, an example) before being harvested.
- Each 10 minutes weather is checked (as stated before, weather can be 1, 2, 3 or for if its clear sky, ..., ... or rain) and while the crop is planted, all the weather points are sum (I plant it now. 10 minutes later, weather has heavy clouds - 3; 10 more minutes later, weather has small clouds - 3+2=5; 10 more minutes later, weather has rain - 5+4=9; 10 more minutes later, weather has clear sky - 9+1=10)
- After the 4 hours, we have a total of 85 (example). As 85 is between the lower limit (80) and the higher limit (90), the crop wont be \"damaged\" by weather, so it will give maximum profit considering weather. If the total was 70, as the perfection is between 80 and 90, the crop would suffer some penalization.

About the type of soil will be easier to: per terrain, I will create a variable for type of soil, or if can't be used for farming.

Per crop it should have a variable of time for good harvest, and other variables for ideal kind of soil to be planted.

I guess those are all the restrictions for a crop being harvested give good results or bad results. I will need lists of real crops of that time, real time before a crop be harvested, real soils for crops, etc, so it can be \"translated\" to our game patterns and put into play.
Viriato (João Afonso)

Iberia MUD administrator
Elhost
User

Post by Elhost »

A command for seeing what the place is now? Possibly… now?
I beg to dream and differ from the hollow lies
This is the dawning of the rest of our lives

\"What was the defendant doing with a special pair of gaiters?\"
Viriato
Site Admin

Post by Viriato »

You asking about MUD in general, or something specific?
Viriato (João Afonso)

Iberia MUD administrator
Elhost
User

Post by Elhost »

I mean that if you're outside a town, and you want to see what the town is now, then you type \"now\".
I beg to dream and differ from the hollow lies
This is the dawning of the rest of our lives

\"What was the defendant doing with a special pair of gaiters?\"
Viriato
Site Admin

Post by Viriato »

:) Thought you wanted to say something else :)
*nods* If that command will be implemented, \"now\" is the ideal keyword to use indeed. Thank you
Viriato (João Afonso)

Iberia MUD administrator