About the races

The purpose of this forum is to discuss new ideas for Iberia MUD, whether they be for new areas, update of areas, code changes, or any other suggestion. Player feedback is priceless!
Cadeyrn
User

About the races

Post by Cadeyrn »

You might know this already, though I post this link to some articles in wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lusitanians

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celtiberians

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Republic from (509 BC to 44 BC)

There is a difference between the three races that is gonna be the main ones in the game and it might be an idea to use their different ways of living in the game to make each race unique and maybe avoid to balance them against eachother.
Viriato
Site Admin

Post by Viriato »

Checked that on Wikipédia, yes, but I'm affraid it may not be much exact... I rather use other bibliography from spain and portugal. In fact, some authors says celtiberians is not a race, never existed.

We must check it together, you and others who will cooperate in future. We may use celtiberians, of course, but after discussion.
Viriato (João Afonso)

Iberia MUD administrator
Cadeyrn
User

Post by Cadeyrn »

Yeah your most likely right about that, you have better access to articles made by spanish/portuges writes and you folks should know more than most about that history part.

In this case we can just say Celts are celts, a bit different than the others. Mix it together and hopefully it is close to the facts.
Viriato
Site Admin

Post by Viriato »

It is something it must be checked, but I've read already that true Celts start living in southwest portugal (Algarve), and at some time travelled to northwest spain (Galiza)... Anyway, lets get urls and name of books so we can all read everything and adopt this or that site/book as our guildeline (or eventually make a new one, with a mix of every other site)
Viriato (João Afonso)

Iberia MUD administrator
Cadeyrn
User

Post by Cadeyrn »

how much of the area have you thought of adding? Only the Lusitanen area or more?

from there on add necessary towns, areas, forts, geographical features etc :)
Viriato
Site Admin

Post by Viriato »

I hope to start in all Iberia, but has posted in news-history, nothing prevents us from coding every Europe. I will post as well later, in the next days, features of Iberia - like the terrain will be based, at least the actual Portugal, in military cartography (I believe I can get Spanish military cartography as well).
Viriato (João Afonso)

Iberia MUD administrator
Viriato
Site Admin

Post by Viriato »

Forgot to write, but of course I will give such data support to builders (military cartography)
Viriato (João Afonso)

Iberia MUD administrator
Cadeyrn
User

Post by Cadeyrn »

Don't chew over more than you can eat :)
Viriato
Site Admin

Post by Viriato »

:D Well, in other muds, a specific region constituted by 100 rooms, all of them have the same description. Like \"The Plains\"... in this way, there are worlds of 20000 rooms that dont mean all 20000 were coded one by one.

XXXXXXXXXXX
XXAAAXXXLXX
XAAAXXXLLLXX
XAXXXXLLLLLX
XXXXXXXXLLX
XXXXXXXXXXX

In this grid, the X can correspond to \"Plains\", A can correspond to \"Forest\" and L to \"Lake\". The description of each X, A or L terrains/rooms can be the same...

I thought for general areas that each room could correspond to 1km square. In this way, the landscape wont change much in 1km, so has some logic have the same description for adjacent rooms.

Considering this and looking just to Portugal, this country is like a rectangle (check it on a map) of 250Km x 750km, which means we can code Portugal in 187500 rooms.

More: the landscape at that time was more simple than today: you had, lets say, mountains, plains, forests and small villages. Few roads, some rivers... So you would just code large areas - which means that in true you will just have work to code some rooms, not the entire 187500 rooms. Also, it is not forced to code it at once: we can start for the \"hot area\" of the Lusitan war, then expanding. Another thing is that if we respect the true terrain and the true distances in the way I've explained before (if we think 1km square is too few, 4km square could be also workable), in the future we wont have problems of \"I want to add this city and put it in the correct place according to geography, but for that we must change the rest of the world\" - where have we saw this?

Another thing is this: if one room corresponds to 1km square, it can be logic that 2 characters in the same room could see each other for sure, unless one of them it's hidden somewhere. But in a 4km square, I dunno if you could see or recognize another person... In this way, and again having \"reality\" in mind, if we would want rooms with 4km square then we need to change when someone arrives at a room can see automatically who is in, and the ones who are already there should not read \"Someone enters.\".

So in resume, and in my mind, I believe we should code Portugal and Spain in the system of large areas, and after that, as soon as we code cities and quests, we just need to locate them at the places we want.

Yes, I guess is thinking high, its a perfectionist plan, but not impossible or very difficult at all. For builders, which also includes me, I have some documents to aid in this work, the knowledge to do that is basically nothing, and I will also code another support program for easily create the terrains with only some inputs from the builder.

Hope I explained all this clearly.
Viriato (João Afonso)

Iberia MUD administrator
Viriato
Site Admin

Post by Viriato »

Considering races, as well as other crucial information for mud, check this file:

http://arkeotavira.com/Mapas/Iberia/Populi.htm

or at our server,

Etnologia da Iberia

Has much useful information.
Viriato (João Afonso)

Iberia MUD administrator
Siliniez
User

Post by Siliniez »

I like that you have high ambitions ;)

What you have said is correct, though. The basic terrain coding isn't the most difficult part here. Once the terrain has been laid down (foundation) we can build upon it, like you said.
Iberia MUD Builder.
Viriato
Site Admin

Post by Viriato »

I was thinking this weekend about it, and those foundations will be your first work, if you accept the challenge ;)
Tomorrow I will be around with more free time and using my own computer, so we'll speak about it.
Viriato (João Afonso)

Iberia MUD administrator